Friday, November 2, 2012

Steel-Cut Oats with Cinnamon Pears

Ah, breakfast.To be honest breakfast has always been pretty low on my list of favourite meals. I usually have unorthodox desires (read non-breakfast desires) that I don't always have the time to fulfill in the morning when I'm rushing to get ready for the day ahead. I went through a Japanese-inspired phase a couple weeks ago that consisted of a bow of white rice topped with toasted sesame seeds, a nori sprinkling, sliced avocado and a drizzle of sesame oil. In a bit of a Goldilocks fashion, I seem to have trouble finding my perfect  breakfast option -- the one that will keep me satisfied for the better part of the morning. Because, let's be honest. when you work in a Test Kitchen, the last thing you want is to be overly hungry when you first walk into the office!

Steel-cut oats have solved my breakfast dilemma - for now! These golden pearls have a wonderful bite and texture, and, although they take a little while to cook, they really make a wonderful breakfast option that will keep you full for hours.

This version is sweetened using seasonal pears tossed in brown butter and cinnamon and topped with toasted almonds and a drizzle of flavourful honey. I can't think of a better way to start the day at this time of year.
Steel-Cut Oats with Cinnamon Pears
Serves 2

1/2 cup steel-cut oats
1 tbsp butter
1 Bartlett pear, sliced
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp honey
1/4 cup toasted almonds, crushed

Cook steel-cut oats according to package instructions. In the meantime, melt butter in saucepan on medium heat. Once butter starts to bubble, add pear slices and cinnamon. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in brown sugar, cook for 2 minutes. Stir in honey.

Divide cooked oats between two ramekin or plates. Top with pears and sprinkle with almonds.

13 comments:

Asiya @ Chocolate and Chillies said...

Looks delicious! I usually make steel cut oats with apples but pears is a great change up...I agree..they take too long to cook which is why I don't make them as often as I would like.

Chocolate Shavings said...

Asiya @ Chocolate and Chillies: It's worth the wait though! I usually make them on the weekend but wish I had time to whip them before work on weekdays!

Anonymous said...

This sounds like an amazing combination of ingredients. I love steel cut oats as well - There's just something about having to cook them longer that brings out so much more flavor and texture.

Chocolate Shavings said...

sweet road: I agree - and things tend to taste that much better when you have to wait a little for them!

Cara's Healthy Cravings said...

Nothing beats a steaming bowl of oats on a chilly morning! If you have some forethought, you could soak the oats the night before so you could enjoy them as a weekday breakfast.

Chocolate Shavings said...

Cara's Healthy Cravings: Great idea!

Jennifer Kendall said...

oh my gosh, this is such a wonderful breakfast! looks AMAZING!

Shari Burton said...

Cook them in your crock pot on Sunday night, you will have premade oats all week long. I got my recipe on Pinterest! I usually use apples but will try pears next time. I make the post labeled apple pie for breakfast!

scrambledhenfruit said...

Oatmeal is my "go to" breakfast as soon as the weather starts to get cold. Those pears in brown butter look divine- I could eat this for breakfast any day. :)

Chocolate Shavings said...

scrambledhendruit: it's definitely a perfect food to fight colder days!

kale said...

stunning photo! it's truly lovely with the pears.

Coco Bean said...

I have steel cut oats... I have pears... I'm totally making this.

Coco Bean said...

Omg Ian and I just made this.... It was so delicious!!!Ian kept taking a bite then turning to me with his mouth full to tell me how good it was. He wants to make it with apples next.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin